Latkan wala

1 comment


As i continued my walk in the gali's of kinari baraaz, I saw a vendor selling colourful laktans ( hangings) which caught my attention... I tried to ask Him a few questions but as and when i took my step forward i immediately stepped back because he used to get busy with his customers. This happened at least 3 times before i actually reached him. I wonder how does he even manage to attend so many customers at once in that small stall. As soon as i got there, i saw this man who was not more than 25 Years and two other people who were there, helping him. I asked him if he could help me in answering a few questions as it was my college project, he agreed on it. His name was Akshok and was 24 years old and lived in sonia vihar. He started his stall 15years back, all by himself. 

 

 

 

I  asked him if he had changed anything in this stall since then and if not will he like To make any changes ? he simply smiled and said that he didnt change anything , and neither does he want to change anything about his stall or the products Which he was selling, he was happy and satisfied with what he was getting. I inquired about how many customers does he get to attend every day ? he said that he doesnt know exactly but around 50 and mostly housewives and young girls were his customers.. Just then a lady came started to ask him to replace her latkan.. While this was going on, i asked the names of the other two people, out of which one was his nephew, karan and the other was his younger brother ravi. I saw these white plastic bori's in the corner and below the table i asked them that "do you keep your things here"? ravi replied "yes, because there is no other place".. Also their stall was very disorganised. When akshok got free, he told me about the material used which were velvet, plastic, glass, jarkan and many more. He used to bring laktan for immediate sale purpose from mehar and supplied in bulk only when the order is placed 20 days before. I questioned him about the range and he told me that he had variety from rs 30 to rs 400! along with latkans he sold beads as well.. I observed his selling procedure and how he used to talk to his customers. I stopped for a while looked around and curiously asked him that what he did during his free time ? he smiled again and said i get bored and play games on my phone.. 

 

I asked him if he faces any problem ? he said that he doesnt really face any difficulties here but the police takes "hafta" from him. With this our conversation came to an end and i bought a few beads from his stall before leaving.

 

 

After i left his stall and started moving ahead, i felt it was a different experience altogether.. In today's time people are so busy in their own world and dont have time for others. It was nice to spend some time and get information which i could have never found on the internet or any other source. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

1 comment:

  1. Consider revising your blog twice or thrice before posting it. And the font should be uniform throughout

    ReplyDelete