Through The Windows Of Chandni Chowk- Life of Sumit Chaiwala

1 comment
On the day of my second visit to Chandni Chowk, I was enthusiastic. I had all the things in mind which kept me thinking until this day. I was ready to explore this place in an altogether different angle.


After entering Kinari Bazar, I started silently observing the place, its ambiance, the people , surroundings and the architecture.




While taking a stroll in Kinari Bazar, I landed up at a place where many people had circled a small table placed in the corner. On moving a few steps forward, I saw that it was a ‘chai stall’.

I went to the ‘chaiwala’ and on asking, he told me that his name is Sumit. I asked him for a cup of tea. He kept engaged in the process of making one for me and the other people. I told him that I was there to explore the market and explore his stall for a college project. On listening to this, he very politely requested me to ask whatever questions I had while he served his customers. He did not want to stop his work as he earned money on daily basis depending upon the number of cups he sold. 


I respected him and started asking questions as he continued to work. The first question that I asked him was where did he live? “Kinari Bazar only”, he replied. He told me he had been working and living in the same place from six in the morning till eight in the evening everyday for the past twenty-five years.

“Aapke ghar mein kaun kaun hai?”, I asked. “Main,meri wife aur do bache-ek bees saal ka ladka aur ek terah saal ki ladki” he said handing over the tea cup to me. “ladka 12th pass hai aur ladki school jaati hai. Ab ladka mera kaam mein haath batata hai” he added.

I kept silent for a while since I was observing his stall and the area around it. His stall was just a table and an ice box over which he kept a stove, utensils, cups, ingredients and biscuits. Besides the table was a broken dustbin. 



I asked him from where did he get water, milk and other things for the tea he made to which he replied by saying that milk was bought from a nearby milk dairy, water was taken from an MCD connection and other ingredients from a departmental store in the same locality.

After asking a few more questions, I asked if there was anything in that locality or his stall to change? “itne saalo se issi se ghar chalate hein...yeh badal gaya toh ghar kaise chalega....” he said. On persuading him a little more, he said, “ sankri galli ke wajah se samaan andar laana mushkil hota hai. Dukaandaro ko chai pahuchane ke liye haath mein garam cup uthake leke jaana padta hai. Bas aise chhotti chhotti cheezein hein, baaki toh kuch nai.”



I clicked a few photos of him and his workstation and observed the place a bit more.

Before leaving I paid him Rs.10 for the tea cup and thanked him for giving me his time.

While going back home, I felt inspired by Sumit. He had a small business and a family of four to feed. No luxuries, no source of enjoyment, only work yet no complains with the way all went.  
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

1 comment:

  1. Your blog lacks a few punctuations and has some grammatical errors. It would have been a better idea if you would use shorter and more relevant quotes of the shopkeeper.

    ReplyDelete